University Studies Strands A - J
- Foundation Learning Goals (A, B, C, D) stress developing and enhancing fundamental communication, critical thinking, information literacy, and quantitative reasoning skills.
- Explorations Learning Goals (E, F, G) stress acquiring a broadly informed knowledge of the various disciplines and becoming familiar with the kinds of inquiry that occur within the aesthetic, social, and scientific worlds.
- Integrations Learning Goals (H, I, J) stress the deepening, application and transfer of knowledge across the disciplines. Students explore ethical perspectives in science and technology, citizenship and community, and diversity and global awareness.
Undergraduate Studies provides oversight for the following areas. University Studies is predominately the driver of the oversight: University Studies, the SOU complete general education model includes: approval of University Studies courses, implementation and scheduling of University Studies classes, and assisting with assessment of student work samples.
- University Seminar (First year experience) Completes strands A, B, C
- House Experience (Three year experience) Completes stands A, B, & C; one E, F, & G exploration strand; as well as all H, I, & J strand integration requirements.
- Honors College (General Education) All General Education Completed in Honors
- Accelerated Baccalaureate Program (Degree in 3: General Education Model Augmented)
- Academic English for ESOL Students Complete strand E for ESOL students
- Success at Southern (Support for Student Success)
- Learning Commons (Support for Student Success)
For a complete list of courses approved for University Studies, please go to Core Curriculum Requirements .