Jul 18, 2024  
2024-2025 Catalog 
2024-2025 Catalog

Study Away Programs

Office of International Programs

Stevenson Union 322


In an SOU exchange program, the student remains enrolled at Southern Oregon University while studying at a host institution abroad. They pay tuition and fees at SOU as if they were here, but all housing, meals, and other costs will be paid in the host country. Most scholarships and financial aid will apply as usual. Generally, these programs are the most cost-effective way to study abroad. All students must be recommended by the Study Away Advisor and the individual student applications are forwarded to the host institution by the SOU Office of International Programs.

List of SOU Programs


LAB University of Applied Sciences (Lappeenranta, Finland)

LAB University of Applied Sciences is an institute of higher education in Southeastern Finland in the city of Lappeenranta. Lappeenranta is a lively and international city by Lake Saimaa, close to the Russian border and not far from the capital region. This program is currently open to students in the School of Business specializing in Business Administration or Sustainable Tourism Management for one or two semesters.


IAE School of Management (Lille, France)

IAE is located in Lille, two hours north of Paris, and is for Business Administration majors only. Students can enroll for up to one year to study business administration and finance. Courses are taught in English.


SOU offers two programs in Germany for business students. Students attend for one semester or a full academic year studying business administration or hospitality and tourism management. Both programs offer the option of a dual degree-the Harz program for undergraduate students and HTW at the undergraduate and Master’s level. Students follow a specific curriculum of classes at SOU and then attend either Hochschule Harz or HTW taking one to two semesters of specific courses to qualify for the dual degree. Upon successful completion of both programs, students are awarded diplomas from both institutions. No German language is required before participating in the program, but students take German language during their semester(s) abroad.

Hochschule Harz (Wernigerode, Germany)

Hochschule Harz is located in historic Wernigerode in the Harz mountain region of former East Germany. Participants take coursework in English on a variety of business topics in either business administration or hospitality and tourism management. German language courses are taught at beginning, intermediate, and advanced levels. To qualify for the dual degree students must attend for a full year. The dual degree is offered at the undergraduate level only.

Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft (HTW) (Saarbrücken, Germany)

SOU business students take coursework in English on a variety of business topics as well as German language. Graduate students attend SOU for two terms and then take one semester at HTW and complete their Master’s Thesis. To qualify for the undergraduate dual degree, SOU students must attend for a full year. Upon successful completion of both programs the student is awarded a degree from each institution. SOU students at both the undergraduate and graduate level have the option to take part in a special three week summer program at HTW where they study International Business and German Culture, earning credits toward their business degree.


Okayama University (Okayama, Japan)

Students can study for one semester or an academic year in Okayama University’s EPOK exchange program, designed for U.S. students wishing to know more about Japan and Japanese culture. English-taught coursework is available in a variety of areas, including social sciences, humanities, business, and science, in addition to courses in Japanese language.

Shinshu University (Matsumoto, Japan)

Students can study for one semester or an academic year in the Nagano prefecture. Exchange students are registered as Shinshu University Global Education Center Students (GEC) and are able to take Japanese language courses in order to intensively study language and culture.

Tokyo International University (TIU) (Tokyo Metropolitan Area, Japan)

TIU has two campuses in the Tokyo metropolitan area, Kawagoe and Ikebukuro. Students live with Japanese host families, take a required Japanese language course, and take courses in English in the Japan Studies Program and/or the E-track program (Business, Political Science). Students have the option to study away for one or two semesters.

Nagoya University of Foreign Studies (NUFS) (Nagoya, Japan)

Japanese language courses are separated into 6 levels, spanning from absolute beginner to upper-advanced. In addition to language classes, student have access to English-taught elective courses in a range of topics around Japanese culture, society, and media. SOU students can attend for 1 or 2 semesters.

International College of Liberal Arts - Yamanashi Gakuin University (Kofu, Japan)

The International College of Liberal Arts (iCLA) is a small campus that is part of the larger Yamanashi Gakuin University. SOU students at iCLA can study Japanese language at a range of levels, as well as English-taught courses in business, data science, humanities, performing arts, social sciences. SOU students can attend for 1 or 2 semesters.


Universidad de Guanajuato (Guanajuato, Mexico)

The University of Guanajuato is one of SOU’s oldest exchange partners. Rated as one of the finest universities in Mexico, students can study in a range of academic fields or intensively study Spanish language. This program requires a 3.0 GPA and B2 level Spanish (typically demonstrated through successful 300-level Spanish courses) for students direct enrolling in regular academic courses taught in Spanish. The Spanish language and culture program is offered at varying levels. Students may attend for one semester or an academic year and it is open to all majors. A month-long summer language program is available.

South Korea

Chonnam National University (Gwangju, South Korea)

Chonnam National University (CNU) is located in the most southern region of South Korea. SOU students enroll in regular courses taught in English across a range of subjects. CNU also offers an intensive Korean language & culture semester taught at their seaside satellite campus in Yeosu. Students can study for 1 or 2 semesters, or join the month-long International Summer Session to take up to 9 credits.

Dankook University (Yongin, South Korea)
There are two possibilities for study at Dankook University: during fall and spring semesters and in the summer. In the summer the academic program consists of three weeks of English-teaching internship with Dankook University students, followed by four weeks of elective classes taught in English (up to 9 SOU credits). In return for the English teaching students are offered free housing, as well as up to $1,000 airfare reimbursement. All majors are eligible to apply.


Kristianstad University (Kristianstad, Sweden)

Kristianstad University (HKR) is located in Southern Sweden. SOU students can study at HKR for 1 or 2 semesters, and choose from English-taught courses in Business, Communications, Computer Science, and Environmental Sciences. Swedish Language and Culture is also offered.

United Kingdom

University of Winchester (Winchester, Hampshire, England)

Similar in size to SOU, this liberal arts college is located in historic Winchester, an hour by train from London. Students enjoy private rooms in U of W’s residence halls and select coursework in the social sciences and humanities. The college is on a semester system. Students have the option to study away fall semester for the cost of SOU tuition/fees and January through May (winter and spring terms) for a supernumerary rate.


Universidad Catolica del Uruguay (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Universidad Catolica del Uruguay (UCU) allows students to study for 1 or 2 semesters. Students must have a B1 level of Spanish or above (typically 2-years of college level Spanish) to apply. A pre-semester intensive language course is available, and students may combine Spanish language and Uruguayan culture studies with Spanish-taught classes from across UCUs areas of study.

National Student Exchange

National Student Exchange (NSE) facilitates exchange opportunities in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. SOU students participating in a study away program through NSE can choose from “Home Pay” where they pay their usual tuition and fees from SOU while on exchange, or “Host Pay” where they pay the host campus resident-rate tuition and fees. SOU administers financial aid for both payment types, but SOU institutional aid can only be utilized for Home Pay programs. Students can participate for up to 1 year on exchange to any NSE partner campus.

Application Procedure

For more information regarding the application procedure, it is recommended that students schedule an appointment to meet with a study away advisor to review eligibility requirements and program offerings at their destination(s) of interest. The deadline for applications for the SOU Office of International Programs is typically well ahead of the nomination and application deadline of the partner schools. Students should start planning their application 8-12 months in advance of the period they intend to be abroad.


SOU Affiliated Programs

Programs falling under the title Affiliated include many different program models facilitated by a third-party organization or U.S. university. These programs may involve direct enrolling in a university abroad, programs with classes specifically designed for U.S. study abroad students, internships, or field-based programs and research. Affiliated programs include academic year, term/semester, and summer programs. In any type of Affiliated program, students remain enrolled at SOU and therefore the course credit is recorded on your SOU transcript and financial aid can be applied to these programs. However, students pay the program fees directly to the Affiliated organization, rather than paying SOU tuition and fees. If you qualify for financial aid or receive scholarship money it is important to meet with a financial aid advisor to find out what funds you qualify for when studying away. Most SOU-specific scholarships are not available for use in these programs. It is possible to use federal financial aid on most Affiliated programs.

Study Away Organizations

SOU has affiliation agreements with multiple study away organizations, which allows our students to use federal financial aid without much difficulty:

Global Education Oregon (GEO) Study Abroad geo.uoregon.edu

API Study Abroad https://apiabroad.com

CIS Abroad  https://www.cisabroad.com

IE3 Global http://ie3global.org

SIT Study Abroad  https://studyabroad.sit.edu

School for Field Studies https://fieldstudies.org

USAC Study Abroad https://usac.edu

SEA Education Association  https://sea.edu

National Student Exchange www.nse.org

International Internships

Many of the Affiliated programs above have incorporated internship options for students, whether that is a full-time internship abroad, or a part-time internship in addition to coursework. Students seeking out internships abroad through our providers should investigate if university credit is provided by the Affiliated organization or host university. If not they will need to work with their SOU major/certificate advisor to arrange internship or practicum credit, if appropriate.