David Parker, Coordinator
The Certificate in Wine Business provides students the opportunity to learn about various aspects of the wine business from the history, geography, and environmental requirements to grow grapes, to the processes of making, bottling, and selling wine, to sensory evaluation techniques and communication about wine. Students will apply business principles from sales and marketing to effectively market and promote wine, along with learning management, accounting, computer applications, and hospitality and tourism factors that are important for successful wine businesses. This program prepares students to pursue a variety of wine industry jobs that range from tasting room sales representative, direct sales manager, and regional sales manager to wine advertising sales, public relations and marketing coordinator, and wine merchandiser.
Upon successful completion of this certificate program, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the global to regional wine industry including how regional climates, soils, and landscapes are associated with growing grapes and producing wine.
- Understand how wine is made, evaluated through sensory analysis, and represented in marketing of the product.
- Be able to effectively communicate to the public about wine through advertising, public relations, social media, and online resources.
- Understand wine distribution methods and wine markets, pricing structures, and have operating knowledge of global retail wine sales.
- Construct a wine marketing plan, applying management and business principles.
In size and scope, the certificate is between a minor and a major. To pursue this certificate, students must be in one of the following categories: a) current SOU students who are meeting the requirements for the BA or BS degree, b) students who already have a BA or BS degree (post-baccalaureate), or c) students who have completed approximately two years of college coursework or have at least three years of significant professional work experience and meet the prerequisites for admission to certificate program. To be awarded the Certificate in Wine Business, students must complete the course requirements listed below (48 credits, including prerequisites). Students must complete 20 of the final credits of the certificate at SOU. All courses taken for the certificate must be completed with a grade of C- or better. Students must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.5 or higher in all certificate courses. This certificate program is open to undergraduates, graduates, and post-baccalaureate students.
See the SOU School of Business brochure for this certificate.